The 2023 Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) Honors Convocation was held at Morningside University on April 5, 2023. At the convocation, several students and employees were recognized for their academic, co-curricular, athletic, and professional achievements.
The Tommeraasen Award of Excellence for an outstanding campus organization went to the Sustainable Environment Association. The Student Government Event of the Year was awarded to Adam Timmerman’s guest speaking event hosted by Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
The ODK Sophomore Cup, an honor that annually recognizes a sophomore for outstanding leadership and campus participation, was awarded to Sara Marrufo of Barquisimeto, Venezuela. Elana Krutsinger of Salem, S.D. was the recipient of the ODK Freshman Cup, which recognizes excellence in leadership and participation in a student’s first year on campus.
The winner of the Dr. Bruce Forbes Faculty Person of the Year Award was Dr. Patrick Bass of the Humanities Department. Bass has taught at Morningside since 1992. Andre McWell, Director of Persistence and Diversity, was honored as the Staff Member of the Year. McWell has been with Morningside since 2000.
The John and Robin Reynders Awards for Community Engagement went to the Spanish Club and the Sustainable Environment Association (SEA).
The Robert “Bob” Miller Academic Student-Athlete of the Year Award is presented by the Miller family in his memory and is awarded to a senior female and male student-athlete who has achieved outstanding academic and athletic performances while at Morningside. Sydney Petersen of Omaha, Neb. and Timothy Powers III of Bellevue, Neb. were this year’s recipients. Petersen is on the softball team and Powers is on the men’s basketball team.
The following departmental awards were presented for outstanding achievement by students in the corresponding program of department:
Applied Ag and Food Studies
- Outstanding Senior in Applied Agriculture and Food Studies: Conner Hill of Ellsworth, Iowa
- Outstanding Senior in Agricultural Education Teaching: Anna Van Dusen of Ida Grove, Iowa
- Outstanding Senior in Agribusiness: Rachel Kenny of Schaller, Iowa
- Outstanding Senior in Agronomy: Zach Hefty of Baltic, S.D.
- Outstanding Freshman: Hannah Nichols of Broken Bow, Neb.
- Outstanding Sophomore: Miriam Moore of Sioux City
- Outstanding Junior: Joe Sommervold of Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Marion Shapiro Award: Chris Perez of Santa Ana, Calif.
School of Business
- Outstanding Accounting Senior (ISCPA sponsored): Ashley Wilcox of Council Bluffs, Iowa
- Outstanding Accounting Senior (IMA sponsored): Trey Powers of Bellevue, Neb.
- Outstanding Business Senior: Lucy Preugschas of Buffalo, Minn. and Josh Tibbits of Sioux City
- Outstanding Marketing Senior: Samantha Fister of Lytton, Iowa
- Bill and Lorraine Knepper Award for an Outstanding Junior in English: Julianna Baker of Sioux City
- Ralph and Margaret Crary and Bruce Crary and Quicksilver Scholarship Fund in Literary Arts: Grace Lange of Waverly, Neb.
- Outstanding Mass Communication Senior: Caden Schulte of Sioux City
Natural and Mathematical Sciences
- Terra Industries Scholarship in Information Sciences: Bryan Ramirez of Santa Ana, Calif.
- Elise Muller Scholarship in Mathematical Sciences: Kelsey Schieffer of Crofton, Neb.
- Robert Wood Green Mathematical Sciences Scholarship: Spencer Storm of Sioux City
- Faculty Award in Biology: Eli Honken of Elk Point, S.D.
- Faculty Award in Chemistry: Emily Clotfelter of Fairfield, Mont.
- Stephen J. Gould Award: Marisa Beintema of Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Outstanding Service to the Department Award: Marisa Beintema of Sioux Falls, S.D. and Eli Honken of Elk Point, S.D.
- Dorothy Paulson McLarnon Scholarship for Voice: Anna Fuelberth of Spirit Lake, Iowa
- Mildred Harrington Piano Scholarship: Ryan Kilmer of Walnut, Iowa
- Berdina Hospers Woodwind Award: Daisy Ortiz of Denison, Iowa
- Marvin and Merry Klass Endowed Scholarship: Abby Lincoln of Sergeant Bluff, Iowa and Anna Godtland of Boyden, Iowa
- Tom Shilhanek: Bree Pierce of Sioux City
- Miller Award in Political Science: Agnes Therese Garder of Halden, Norway and Anders Staxen of Vallensbaek Strand, Denmark
- Col. Bud Day Center Award for Ethical Leadership: Alex Freeman of Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
- Robert Jewett Book Award: Alexandra Inskeep of Reasnor, Iowa
- The Dr. John P. Doohen Award: Stephanie Meza of Santa Ana, Calif.
- The Modern Languages Book Award: Lupita De Anda Valadez of Sioux City
- The Gahlon Family for Study Abroad: Rachel Jorgensen of Orange City, Iowa
- Sharon Ocker Endowed Scholarship for Secondary Education: Abraham Ponce of Sioux City
- Maxine Nelson Scholarship: Corin Brewer of Danbury, Iowa; Melanie Harson of Little Rock, Iowa; Cassidy Lutz of Sioux City; Abigail Simmons of Sioux City; and Samantha Snyder of Marshalltown, Iowa
- Marcia McNee Scholarship in Elementary Education: Semia Aldrich of Whiting, Iowa; Sydney Petersen of Omaha, Neb.; and Gabrielle Ponce of Sioux City
- Children’s Literature Friendship Award: Genevieve Bundy of Lincoln, Neb.
- Professional Development and Achievement Award from the Nylen School of Nursing: Blaire Steenhoek of Chariton, Iowa; Madeline Moore of Westpoint, Tenn.; and Abigail Langseth of Omaha, Neb.