News

Dance team finishes 6th at NAIA National Championships

March 11, 2017, in Athletics, Cheer and Dance

Morningside's dance team finished sixth at the first-ever NAIA Competitive Cheer & Dance National Championships held March 10 and 11 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

The Mustangs, who were in fourth place after Friday's preliminary competition, finished with a score of 84.23. They had a score of 83.83 after the preliminaries. Morningside finished less than one point out of fourth place behind St. Ambrose (85.16) and Oklahoma City (84.30).

Midland finished atop the 12-team field with a score of 91.38 for a victory margin of almost five points over runner-up Aquinas with a score of 86.63. Midland also won this year's Great Plains Athletic Conference Competitve Cheer & Dance Championships.

Preliminary scores counted towards 25 percent of each team’s overall score, with Saturday's final accounting for the other 75 percent of the score.

The Mustangs received an at-large berth in the NAIA National Championship after they finished second behind Midland at the NAIA Northwest Group Qualifier Tournament.

Results