IRA Charitable Rollover


Complete your 2024-2025 FAFSA as soon as possible to ensure you meet any Federal, State, Private, or Morningside requirements. Visit the FAFSA website

Lower Campus Stage With Students

You can use your Traditional Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to make a gift to your favorite charitable organizations, including Morningside University. Individuals aged 72 and older can instruct their IRA administrators to make a direct distribution to Morningside and exclude the amount of the gift from their gross income for federal tax purposes. This gift may satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution (RMD) and is not subject to the deduction limits for charitable gifts.

To be eligible:

  • You must turn 72 or older the year in which the rollover distribution is made. Note that the age at which you must first take an RMD was changed from 70 ½ to 72 on January 1, 2020. (Those who turned 70 ½ on or prior to December 31, 2019 must still abide by the former rule). 
  • Total charitable gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per taxpayer each year
  • Transfers from traditional and Roth IRAs must be made directly from the account administrator to Morningside University.

To make a gift:

  • Contact your IRA administrator to request a charitable distribution to Morningside University (Tax ID: 42-0680400)
  • Instruct your IRA administrator to indicate you or the donor’s name on the check and specify that the gift is an IRA charitable distribution.
  • Send the check to:

Morningside University
Institutional Advancement Office
1501 Morningside Avenue
Sioux City, IA 51106

  • Notify Morningside University of your gift by calling Paul Erbes, VP of Institutional Advancement at 712-274-5260 or

Contact Us

Questions? We’d love to help. Contact us today. Get in touch with our Institutional Advancement team today!

Lewis Hall