2020 Morningside College Undergraduate and Graduate Commencement Ceremony - August 8, 2020, at Elwood Olsen Stadium
Morningside College will host a combined undergraduate and graduate commencement at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2020, at Elwood Olsen Stadium. Details for the commencement ceremony are below.
For more information on Morningside's response to COVID-19, click here or use the button below.
Stock up on Morningside swag while you're on campus! The Morningside Bookstore will be open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Watch Morningside Commencement from Home Via YouTube
- Live Stream: Morningside will stream the commencement ceremony on the Morningside College YouTube channel beginning at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 8. The full video will also be posted on YouTube following the ceremony.
Instructions for Graduates Attending the Ceremony
Before You Arrive
- Expect hot weather. The current forecast projects a high of 87 degrees. The temperature on the football field typically feels several degrees warmer. We will have some water, but you are also encouraged to bring your own.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear. Dress for both the weather and the occasion, and choose footwear that will allow you to move comfortably outdoors on a variety of surfaces, including turf.
- Be sure to bring your cap and gown if you already have it. Caps and gowns will also be available on-site for those that still need them.
- Face coverings are required. To protect the health and safety of you and our campus community, face coverings are required. Please bring a face covering that is comfortable for you. You will be able to remove your mask once you reach your seat on the field and for the duration of the ceremony. We will have some disposable masks available should you need one.
- Name Coach. You should have received a separate email requesting that you send your name pronunciation through NameCoach. Please be sure to do this ASAP if you haven't already.
Day of Commencement Ceremony
- Be on time. Step-off will begin promptly at 9:50 a.m. The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. Please allow yourself plenty of time to get to the ceremony, park, get checked in, and line up.
- Parking. Park in any of the Morningside parking lots, which can be found on this map. Please note that parking is not available at the lacrosse field.
- Practice Physical Distancing & Wear Your Face Covering. Once you are on-campus, please practice good social responsibility by following physical distancing guidelines and using your face covering.
- Line-Up Location. Proceed to Tom Rosen Field and enter the lacrosse field from Peters Ave. Volunteers will be there to direct you to where you need to go. Face coverings will be required at the line-up.
- Water. There will be some water available at the lacrosse field, and a water bottle under each chair on the football field. Again, you are welcome and encouraged to bring your own water bottle if you wish.
- Processional. Graduates will depart from the lacrosse field and walk to the football field. You will enter through an open gate on the west side of the field and process into the stadium on lane 4, then head for your seat on the field. Upon reaching your seat on the field, you may remove your face covering.
- Recessional. Graduates will remain on the football field at the conclusion of the ceremony. The stage party and faculty will process off the field. Once they have exited, guests will be invited to join graduates on the field.
- Photography. Morningside staff will be taking photos that will be available for you to download and use free of charge. The link to these photos will be sent out later in August. Your guests may take photos from anywhere outside the fenced area.
Instructions for Guests Attending the Ceremony In-Person
Before You Arrive
- Considerations. We are expecting significant attendance for this event. As such, we request that all guests consider the potential risks associated with attending, including the COVID-19 global pandemic and the potential for extreme heat. Please keep in mind that the ceremony will also be broadcast via the Morningside College YouTube channel for those who would prefer to watch from the comfort of an alternate location.
- Expect hot weather. The current forecast projects a high of 87 degrees. The temperature in the stadium tends to feel several degrees warmer. Please bring water, wear weather-appropriate clothing, and plan accordingly.
- Face coverings are required. To protect the health and safety of you and our campus community, face coverings are required. Please bring a face covering that is comfortable for you. We will have disposable masks available should you need one.
Day of Commencement Ceremony
- Event Time. Step-off for graduates is at 9:50 a.m. The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. We anticipate the length of the ceremony to be 60-90 minutes.
- Parking. Park in any of the Morningside parking lots, which can be found on this map.
- Practice physical distancing. Family or group units attending the ceremony should plan to sit together. All guests are asked to practice physical distancing while on campus, entering and exiting the ceremony, and when selecting seats in the stadium. When choosing seats. please keep at least six feet between your group and other groups in the stands.
- Nurse's Station. There will be medical assistance available on-site behind the home field stands near the concession stand.
- Water. A limited supply of bottled water will be available on-site for guests at no charge. You are also welcome to bring a personal water bottle.
- Security. Campus security will be present to assist guests and ensure all attendees are complying with mask requirements and physical distancing.