Cost per credit
A Great Fit For
- Those who wish to more effectively work with learners whose first language is not English.
- Someone who is creative, adaptable, and sensitive.
- People who are excellent communicators and presenters.
Orientation to graduate education programs and readiness for online learning to be completed during the student’s first semester of enrollment. Expectations related to scholarly writing skills are introduced.
Overview of approaches to educational research and pertinent educational theoretical frameworks. Students will examine the role of action research in their practice.
Identify and review scholarly literature, critically evaluate research, and develop skills to write an effective literature review related to topics in curriculum studies.
Students examine the systematic design feature of action research, with a focus on selecting effective data tools and creating an implementation plan for a research project.
Students examine evaluation, analysis, and interpretation of action research data, as well as designing strategies for instructional adjustment and re-evaluation.
Using foundational methods of design and analysis, students conduct action research related to curriculum studies. A capstone research project, including a review of literature, a systematic inquiry of a research problem, implementation of an intervention, analysis and interpretation of data, and reflection for instructional adjustment.
Expands the use of technology tools in teaching situations and includes an action inquiry project using a technology-infused solution. Discusses issues related to technology and its use in schools.
Examination of socio-cultural concerns and ethics related to educational foundations with emphasis on contemporary issues influencing curriculum, pedagogy, inclusion, human relations, educational policy, and social justice.
Additional Program Details
Select 15 credits from English as a Second Language Studies
- TESL 520: Cultural & Linguistically Diverse Classroom Practice (3 cr)
- TLSL 525: Language Acquisition for English Language Learners (3 cr)
- TESL 533: English as a New Language Programs Methods & Assessments (3 cr)
- TESL 609: Content Area Strategies for English Language Learners (3 cr)
- TESL 637: Applied Linguistics (3 cr)
- TESL 640: ESL Practicum (3 cr)
Graduate Sharon Walker School of Education
1501 Morningside Avenue
Sioux City, IA 51106