Cost per credit
A Great Fit For
- Someone who wants to enhance their teaching practice without a singular focus.
- An educator looking to broaden their scope of knowledge related to curriculum and instruction.
- An individual who seeks a deeper understanding of content-specific pedagogy.
Orientation to graduate education programs and readiness for online learning to be completed during the student’s first semester of enrollment. Expectations related to scholarly writing skills are introduced.
Overview of approaches to educational research and pertinent educational theoretical frameworks. Students will examine the role of action research in their practice.
Identify and review scholarly literature, critically evaluate research, and develop skills to write an effective literature review related to topics in curriculum studies.
Students examine the systematic design feature of action research, with a focus on selecting effective data tools and creating an implementation plan for a research project.
Students examine evaluation, analysis, and interpretation of action research data, as well as designing strategies for instructional adjustment and re-evaluation.
Using foundational methods of design and analysis, students conduct action research related to curriculum studies. A capstone research project, including a review of literature, a systematic inquiry of a research problem, implementation of an intervention, analysis and interpretation of data, and reflection for instructional adjustment.
Expands the use of technology tools in teaching situations and includes an action inquiry project using a technology-infused solution. Discusses issues related to technology and its use in schools.
Examination of socio-cultural concerns and ethics related to educational foundations with emphasis on contemporary issues influencing curriculum, pedagogy, inclusion, human relations, educational policy, and social justice.
Additional Program Details
Select 15 credits from Curriculum Studies
- EDUC 580: Development and Management of Gifted Programs (4 cr)
- EDUC 581: Curriculum and Methods for the Gifted (3 cr)
- EDUC 705: ESL Methods (3 cr)
- EDUC 720: Language, Culture and Classroom Practice (3 cr)
- EDUC 761: Reading in the Content Areas (4 cr)
- EDUC 817: Middle School Curriculum and Methods (3 cr)
- EDUC 841: STEM Curriculum Development (3 cr)
- EDUC 842: STEM Materials and Methods (3 cr)
- EDUC 870: Adolescent Literature (3 cr)
- EDUC 872: Children’s Literature (3 cr)
- SPED 632: Intro to Theory & Practice: Autism (3 cr)
- SPED 634: Teaching Students with Autism: Inclusive Settings (3 cr)
- SPED 681: K-8 Mild/Moderate Reading Remediation Strategies (3 cr)
- SPED 682: 5-12 Mild/Moderate Reading Remediation Strategies (3 cr)
Graduate Sharon Walker School of Education
1501 Morningside Avenue
Sioux City, IA 51106