The Master of Arts in Teaching: Special Education
The role special educators in education and our school systems has never been more important. The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Special Education program for elementary and secondary special education teachers at Morningside College was designed to build on their experience while broadening their impact through engaging coursework. The program is designed to be as low-cost as possible and offers you flexibility by being offered 100% online. The program has even been named the #1 Most Affordable Online Masters in Special Education Degree Programs in the U.S. by Top Education Degrees.
The Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education program at Morningside College is broken into two parts:
- Professional Foundations Core is comprised of 18 graduate credits that are required for all students
- Professional Teaching Core is comprised of 18 graduate credits you select based on your goals and interests
In total, the MAT Professonal Educator program requires a total of 36 graduate credits that must be completed within a seven-year timeframe.
Professional Foundation Core
18 graduate credits
Gain a broad knowledge base through educational theory study, research, and practice. These courses address the Five Core Propositions of the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards, the Iowa Teaching Standards, and the Graduate Program in Education's Student Learning Outcomes.
- EDUC 502 Learning in Educational Settings
- EDUC 512 Issues in Education
- EDUC 522 Instructional Technology
- EDUC 611 Student Diversity and Educational Practice
- EDUC 697 Educational Research
- EDUC 698 Data Collection and Analysis
- EDUC 699 Interpreting and Reporting Educational Research
Professional Teaching Core: Special Education
18 graduate credits, 12 credits of which must be selected from the following Special Education options:
- Special Education focused graduate courses offered by Morningside College. See full course descriptions.
- Transfer Credit - Students may transfer up to 9 graduate credits (B- grade or above) into a master's degree program, subject to approval.
- Educational Partners - Students may take up to 8 credit hours from our approved partner courses and apply them toward a master's degree program.
- FOR IOWA EDUCATORS ONLY - Choose an endorsement option that meets your professional goals. Learn more about the approved Iowa endorsement requirements checking out our Online Iowa Endorsement Programs.