After admission to the graduate nursing program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Fulfill immunization requirements including annual TB test. Vaccination for Hepatitis B is recommended but not required. Students will also need to fulfill specific requirements identified by the clinical/practicum agencies.
- Background checks are required for nursing students by the Iowa Board of Nursing (see the Iowa Administrative Code 655-2.11(152) Student criminal history checks). Morningside College Nylen School of Nursing Graduate program includes in their records: sex offender registry, dependent adult and child abuse registries, criminal history, residence history and Social Security number alert records, Nationwide Wants and Warrants and Nationwide Health Care Fraud. As a condition of the admission into the MSN program, all students must complete a background check through Castle Branch. Acceptance into the MSN program is contingent upon the evaluation and acceptable outcome of all required background checks. Students will be notified in a letter of their acceptance outcome into the graduate nursing program.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
Program completion requirements:
- All required graduate credit hours for the MSN track must be completed within six years of the student’s initial admission into the program.
- A maximum of six years is permitted for completion of the degree. All requirements for the degree must be completed within this six-year time frame. The years are counted backwards from the anticipated date the degree will be conferred. Hours taken which exceed this time limit will not count in the degree program.
- A student must receive the departmental writing and oral endorsement by preparing an evidence based practice project and manuscript. The paper is evaluated for clarity and organization of ideas, professional style, mechanical proficiency, research process and synthesis of findings. A student must receive oral endorsement by demonstrating competency in organizations of thought and learning while articulating in a professional manner. The writing and oral endorsements are evaluated in the capstone course for all MSN tracks.