Elwood Olsen Stadium

Elwood Olsen Stadium, located at 1401 S. Paxton, is home to the Mustangs’ football and men’s and women’s soccer and track & field teams. The stadium is also home to the Sioux City East, Sioux City North and Sioux City West High School football and track & field teams as well as the Sioux City Relays.

Elwood Olsen Stadium is the largest stadium in the GPAC with a seating capacity of 10,000.

The stadium underwent a major two-phase renovation project that began in 2004 and was completed in 2005.

Phase I of the renovation project took place in 2004 and included the repair and restoration of the bleachers and the installation of new field lighting and a new public address system.

Phase II of the project began in April 2005 and was completed in August 2005. This phase included the installation of FieldTurf and a new track, the repair and painting of the stadium walls and entrances, installation of new fencing, construction of a new east-end parking lot and the remodeling of the locker rooms and restrooms. Additionally, the Sioux City Community School District and the college worked together to achieve the installation of a new digital scoreboard.

The renovations were made possible through a public/private partnership between Morningside College and the Sioux City Community School District and through a generous donation by Elwood Olsen, a long-time resident of Sioux City and a 1938 Morningside graduate. Olsen served his alma mater for 30 years, first as business manager and then as vice president of business until his retirement in 1978. The stadium was dedicated and renamed in Olsen’s honor on August 16, 2005.

The stadium, first known as The Public School Stadium and then as H.C. Roberts Stadium, was completed in 1940. It began as a Civil Works Administration (GPA) project but was finished as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. H.C. Roberts, business manager for the Independent School District of Sioux City for 39 years, conceived the idea for the stadium and oversaw the six-year construction project. The stadium was renamed in Roberts’ honor after his death in 1964.

NAIA
Play NAIA
Champions of Character
Great Plains Athletics Conference

Proud Sponsors