The freedom to explore
The X Path
The X Path is a guided program that gives you a place, time, and space to figure out your major. It’s our version of undecided. You can begin your Morningside experience and have up to four semesters (or as little as one!) to explore possibilities under the guidance of expert faculty and staff while staying on track for graduation.
Check out the X Path Brochure!
The freedom to explore, but with guidance and a guarantee
We know that not knowing can be a little unsettling. Plus, college is a big investment.
On the X Path, you get up to four semesters to explore options for your future. During that time, you will be exposed to programs, opportunities, and people meant to help you reveal the right major for you. You will also get a lot of great experience and general career prep that will pay dividends regardless of your future direction.
Plus, (this one is for you, parents and supporters!) being on the X Path doesn’t change our Morningside XP Guarantee. Whether you spend one semester or four on the X Path, we will still hold to our guarantee that you will graduate in four years or less and have a job or be accepted to graduate school within six months of graduation, so long as you follow our requirements.
Being undecided has its advantages
In some ways, choosing the X Path provides more opportunities than our traditional majors, giving you confidence in your decision once you do find your path.
- Enjoy the promise of the XP Guarantee, which is our promise that you will graduate in four years or less and find a job or gain acceptance to graduate school within six months of graduation so long as you follow our requirements*
- Have the option to double major and/or have multiple minors
- Get support and assistance in finding the right major for you
- Enjoy unique opportunities to network with Morningside alumni and other professionals
- Experience Morningside’s personalized campus culture
- Have access and connections available in Sioux City that are not found in smaller college towns
- Gain on-the-job experience before the end of your second year at Morningside
- Declare a major at the end of two years, or sooner if you choose
*Please review the requirements of the Morningside XP Guarantee
The X Path in action
Here’s a look at what your journey on the X Path might look like. The various option you might explore can be tailored to your individual preferences and exploration along the way under the guidance of your counselors and advisors.
Before you arrive at Morningside
- Create your Handshake account
- Complete Strengths Quest
- Use Summer Enrollment Days and Orientation to get connected with others on the X Path
- One-on-one sessions with Career Services
- Dig in to your Strength Quest results
- Learn decision-making strategies
- In all semesters: work in a cohort alongside peers in a class
- In all semesters: enjoy expert guidance while taking part in career exploration activities, job shadowing, professional workshops, or other career community events
- In all semesters: revise your X Path plan to fit where you are at, or declare your major
- Take part in activities designed to develop your skills for professional presentations
- Continue with career exploration activities that use your Strengths Quest results
- Take part in a class that includes a culminating visit with Morningside alumni in a major city at the end of the semester
- Begin work with an alumni mentor
- Complete a one-credit experiential opportunity off-campus
- Complete a second one-credit experiential opportunity off-campus
- Take part in an all-campus activity designed to reflect on your X Path experience
- Use your reflection to declare a major