Ease into the college life
Morningside College offers two classes for incoming first-year students to aid the transition from high school to college and to become familiar with our campus.
First Year Seminar (FYS) is a class taken in the fall that emphasizes critical reading, college level discussion, the writing process and adapting to college life. Critical Inquiry and Communication (CIC) is taken in the spring and focuses on critical reading, thesis-based writing and public speaking.
With the help of these two classes students will:
- Learn about college experiences and success skills (time management, effective study techniques, etc.)
- Discover the strengths of the Morningside College experience and learn about the College's mission and vision
- Read essays designed to engage and develop critical thinking and interpretive discussion skills
- Learn how to effectively use technology to achieve success at Morningside
- Write a series of papers designed to prepare them from writing requirements in other classes
- Learn to examine and evaluate sources on their perspectives, credibility and usefulness
- Formulate opinions, conduct research and compile an academic presentation to share with others