Assistant Professor of Aviation
The Department of Aviation at Morningside University invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Aviation to support the operations of its newly created Aviation programs. This is a 9-month tenure track appointment, located on campus, with a start date of August 12, 2024.
- Teach undergraduate Aviation courses in areas to include, but not limited to, flight operations, aviation law, air traffic control, aviation meteorology, and human factors.
- Teaching load is 20 credits each academic year plus a May term once every three years.
- Advise and consult with undergraduate students as assigned.
- Engage in service to the university and participate in professional development activities.
- Work closely in collaboration with Oracle Aviation, the Chief Flight Instructor, and the Director of Aviation to deliver the Professional Flight air and ground schools as well as the Aviation Management major.
- A Master’s degree in Aviation or closely related field from a regionally accredited institution is required. A Doctorate degree in Aviation is preferred.
- Experience in a FAR Part 141 ground school setting is preferred.
- Although this position does not involve flight instruction, possession of FAA Advanced Ground Instructor and Instrument Ground Instructor ratings is preferred.
Review of applications for the position will begin immediately and will continue until filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by October 30, 2023. Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship. Successful completion of a background check and education verification are required. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, sex, religion, creed, race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, national origin, or other characteristics protected by state and federal law. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com
Apply on-line only by submitting an email to firstname.lastname@example.org entering “Aviation Search” in the subject line, and attaching PDF or Microsoft Word files for the following documents: a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, and a list of three professional references (name, phone number, and email). Questions about the position may be addressed to Dr. Tom Paulsen (712-274-5489 or email@example.com).
Morningside, a private university located in Sioux City, Iowa, is admired for both its rich, connected campus community and exceptional active learning experiences. Established in 1894, the university has been led by its 13th president Dr. Albert Mosley since 2022 and is nestled within a serene 69-acre park-like campus in the heart of Iowa’s fourth largest city. Morningside also offers academic environments at its 77-acre learning farm and at the Sioux Gateway Airport for its School of Aviation. The institution serves a community of approximately 2,300 students from almost all 50 states and more than 30 countries.
As a testament to its learning outcomes, more than 80% of undergraduate students have engaged in an internship, externship, student teaching, or preceptorship upon graduation, and for more than a decade 99% of students have gone on to a job or graduate school in their field of study within six months of graduation.
Residential undergraduate students can expect a tranquil and secure campus environment, propelling personal and professional growth. Student life includes around 50 student-led clubs and organizations, a wide array of visual and performing arts opportunities, and 28 varsity sports that regularly receive conference and national recognition. Morningside is also proud to serve as a regional resource for the Siouxland area, offering a variety of on-campus events and activities for students, alumni, and the community at large. Learn more at morningside.edu.