In 2010, Morningside College opened two houses next to campus for juniors and seniors who want the convenience of living on campus but are ready to move out of the residence halls and apartments. Each one houses eight students.
- Each four-bedroom house has three bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchen furnished with a full-size refrigerator, stove, microwave and sink, as well as cabinets, counter space, and a large kitchen table and chairs.
- Residents are not required to have a meal plan.
- Coin-operated laundry facilities are available in each house. Utilities, including gas, water, electricity, high-speed Internet, basic cable TV and one phone with free local calling, are provided at no extra charge.
- Garretson House applicants choose a theme for their house and live by that theme for the duration of the academic year. Example themes are community service, academic leadership or wellness.
- Each house completes at least two theme-related outreach projects per semester. Residence Life provides a house manager to assist with outreach projects and to provide additional programming opportunities.
- This house manager also serves as the contact person for maintenance concerns and conducts regular safety and security checks.