In case of a shooter on campus, please follow the following:
- Remain calm
- Lock yourself in the nearest room
- Turn off all lights
- Close blinds
- Turn off computers if possible.
- Get away from all windows and doors by hiding under desks or tables
- If you are able to, call Campus Security at 5234 and the Sioux City Police Department at 911 with the location of the shooter and your location. Try to remain on the line even if you are not speaking to allow the dispatcher to hear what is going on.
- Try to stay as quiet as possible, any noise will alert the shooter to your location.
- Silence cell phones.
- If try to leave a secure area, have a plan in mind and leave any items behind as they will hinder you as you leave. When approached by the Police Dept. do not be alarmed and work with them and give them any information that will lead them to the shooter.
- If shooter enters your room, do not try to overtake him/her and work with them if possible.
- When calling Campus Security and the Sioux City Police Dept. give your location, the number of individuals in your location, any injuries, the name of the shooter if possible, any descriptions of the shooter, what they are wearing and have with them. Any information will assist them in finding the shooter.